Saturday, September 26, 2009

First The Birds, Now The Bees


The bees have taken great interest in the hummingbird feeder.  It makes sense that they would - the wildflowers are pretty much gone, but I expect that these guys still have some stocking up to do for the winter. 

Each of the little plastic flowers in the feeder was packed full of bees, with more trying to work their way in.  Hubby brought home some apple juice and has suggested that we put a bowl out for them.  He figures they'll like it better than the sugarwater in the feeder.  I'll have to stick it somewhere high to keep the grandkids and bees from getting too close to each other.

Some of the bees found their way into the house.  Not where they wanted to be, and not where I wanted them to be, either.  I'm employing a catch-and-release program with them, catching them in a jar and taking them outside.  I recall hearing on the radio recently that bees are having a hard time around here. 

I don't know anything about bees, so went out to the web to discover whether feeding them now was a good thing to do.  It appears that it may be.  They're apparently not seasonal migrators, and live through the winter on what they've stored, so the extra meals here may be helpful. 

I don't think that any remaining hummingbirds will be too jazzed about their feeder being full of bees, though.



FT

No comments:

Post a Comment