Saturday, October 3, 2009

Busy Week

It has been a week since I posted anything here.  A very busy week. 

It's been cold and rainy all week, and it looks like it will continue to be cold and rainy.  Both the hummingbirds and the bees are gone, at least for now.  I'll fill the feeder again this weekend and see if any of them show up.


There was a threat of frost for Tuesday morning, so we went into the garden Monday night and picked all of the tender stuff.  It didn't actually get down to freezing, and that's a danged good thing.  There are a lot of green tomatoes still out there, and a lot of itty-bitty cucumbers.  I think that the cucumber is about a goner.  That's it on the far left in the picture.  It sure has been a producer this year.  This one plant has supplied me with probably 50 good sized cucumbers - the seedless, soft-skinned English kind.  It's leaves are all turning now, but it's still putting out blossoms.  What a trooper.



One of my pepper plants had just took off about a month ago.  It sat there doing pretty much nothing with it's brothers all summer, then this one just took off.  I got 4 peppers off of it when we took all of the veggies out Monday night, and it had a lot of little ones starting.  It's got all kinds of flowers on it, too.

I don't know what kind of pepper it is.  It's not a bell - its peppers are darker green and longer.  I haven't tried them yet, but I'm going to be making goulash this weekend, and will throw them in there.  I don't even know if it's a hot pepper.  If it is, the son-in-law will be pleased.

This is how dismal the weather is now - it looks like the picture of the pepper plant was taken at night, but I took it at 8:30 in the morning.  This is apparently all the sun we're going to get today.


We got a happy surprise in the mail on Monday.  Apparently, we made a mistake on our taxes.  The IRS sent us a check.  I went a little crazy and spent about $500 of it on new clothes and a haircut.  The kid came with me, and she was all kinds of excited about seeing me buy clothes.  She's tired of seeing me in home-made pull-on pants and hubby's Hawaiian shirts.  So now I'm wearing actual girl clothes.  It's nice that this year's colors are my colors.

My favorite purchase was a pair of Sorel winter boots.  It has been decades since I had a really good pair of winter boots.  My feet will be warm and comfy all winter long. 


 


FT

No comments:

Post a Comment