Monday, August 31, 2009

Today in the Garden - Mon 8/31

Only tomatoes today.  I picked the big one I was nervous about.  It weighed just shy of one pound.  A couple of the Romas I picked might not have been ready, but they were sitting on the ground and I didn't want some bug to get to them before I did.

There weren't any beans tonight.  I saw a couple of blossoms, but not many.  I think it's just too cold.  They're not happy, so they're not reproducing.

My peppers are really unhappy.  I just don't seem to do too well with peppers.  Right now I've got 5 pepper plants and 3 peppers, and it looks like that's all I'm going to have.  That's just not right.  Although it does square with my experience with peppers.  The two years prior to this that I planted peppers I got one fruit per plant. 

Next year I'm going to set aside a little pepper bed and coddle the danged things, and see if I can get them to set more than one fruit per plant.  If I can't, that will be the end of peppers in my garden and I'll use the space for something else.  This isn't that big a loss, really.  None of us would really miss them if we didn't have them.  If we got a bumper crop of them we'd end up giving them away, which, while a nice thing to do, doesn't fill up the freezer for the winter.  And that is my goal - to grow enough veg to feed the family year-round. 



FT

No comments:

Post a Comment