Monday, August 31, 2009

Recipe - Hubby's Granola

Hubby is a big fan of granola, but not the stuff that they sell in cereal boxes at the grocery store.  As is the case with so much of our food-life, he likes the stuff that I make best.  So tonight, I'm making granola for him.  Here's the recipe I'm using tonight.  This is one of those things where I just throw together what I've got, so the recipe isn't consistent from one batch to the next.  I'll let you know if this batch is a good one.

Ingredients
   18 oz turbinado sugar
   18 oz water
   1/2 cup butter
    6 cups rolled oats
    4 cups rolled wheat
    3 cups rolled barley
    2 cups oat bran
    1 1/2 cups flax seed
    18 oz dried fruit, chopped small if neccessary

   Combine sugar and water and heat until sugar is completely disolved.  Add the butter and continue heating until the butter is melted and the mixture is bubbly.
   Combine the grains in a large roasting pan.  Pour the sugar mixture over the grains and stir until well blended.  Bake at 350° for two hours, stirring it all up every 20 minutes. 
   Take out of the oven, let sit for 10 minutes or so stirring occasionally.  Add the fruit. 
   Let cool, store in some sort of storage container.  We use a big cookie jar.

I'll let you know how this particular recipe turns out and what adjustments I'll be making next time.



FT

No comments:

Post a Comment