Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cattail Basket

We collected some cattail leaves today.  I've got them hanging from pegs in the store room.  They should dry out in a few weeks and I'll be able to try making a basket.  This isn't the way that the instructions I've found suggest that it be done, and I will probably find that I would have been better off making a frame and laying them out to dry, but I don't have room for that.  This will have to do.

If I find I like making cattail baskets, I will likely put together a frame of some sort so that I can dry my vegetable matter properly.  I'll bet it will be a good place to dry herbs, too.

I've only collected enough cattail leaves to make one practice basket that I can learn and screw up on, then one medium-sized first real, usable basket.  At least I hope it doesn't take me more than one practice.  I probably ought to collect more cattail leaves, just in case...

And that's how it starts.  I always have good intentions to begin with.  I just want to get a little bit of stuff, just enough to try it out.  But if I like it, won't I need more stuff?  Shouldn't I be getting the stuff now, when the getting's good?  If I don't get a full range of stuff right from the start, I won't get the complete experience, and migt not be able to figure out if I really did like it or not.  I'll live my whole life not knowing whether I could have really rocked cattail baskets because I didn't really go for it.  And if catails do it for me, or even if they don't, maybe rattan will be more my style.  .  Pretty soon I'll have to find room for a couple of big containers of basketry supplies. 

So anyhoo, I have mixed feelings about starting up with basketmaking.  Really, the last thing I need is a new hobby.  I have a quilt that's not quite half done, a blanket on the knitting loom, a bag on the big bead loom, a project I want to do on the small bead loom, and I need to make some pants.  And a new purse.  On the other paw, baskets will be very useful in my world.  I can use them to attractively store all of my other projects.

FT

No comments:

Post a Comment